Thursday, November 29, 2007

Last Blog!

I think this project helped me gain a better understanding of the pros and cons of conducting primary research. In each one of my previous marketing classes we talk about the challenges and drawbacks of research, however I’ve never had to actually produce surveys or hold a focus group. When we discuss the challenges in the classroom, it does not seem relevant. Since I’ve heard it over and over again, I was confident I wouldn’t ask vague questions on the survey. I was sure that the participants would understand their task and exactly what I was looking for. This project has proven me wrong. After distributing our survey and analyzing the data to find out more about the living room, it became clear which questions were poorly written, which ones may have been slightly leading, and which ones were derived from my own assumptions. I learned that customers do not know what you are looking for unless you explicitly ask it. They also cannot tell you what they need in their lives to make it easier. They won’t hesitate to explain what they like or don’t like, but they cannot articulate what their fundamental needs are. After completing this project, I believe I have a better understanding and a stronger knowledge about the best way to approach research. First, I would allow myself more time to make, distribute, and collect all research data. Allocating more time would have given me a chance to establish better questions. Second, I would ensure that each question is very specific and straightforward. Finally, next time I am trying to conduct research, I plan to find a more creative way to investigate the true needs of my target market.
I also believe this project has provided me with a way to get hands-on experience with prototyping. This class is unique in that it is the only one I have taken that has dealt with prototyping. I was unaware that the process you must follow to develop the prototype is not an easy one. I assumed it would be difficult, but I was more worried about actually coming up with the idea for a prototype. After establishing the idea for our product I assumed the process was over. Again, this project taught me that I was wrong. An idea is great, but it is not enough to create a prototype. Every little detail must be thought through. Each feature must have a purpose and contribute to the value of the product. Who knew you had to plan the shape of an armrest?! The little details are what can make or break a product on the market. Prototyping allows you to visually see, feel, touch, and experience the product before you begin selling it. It helps the designer work out any kinks and make the product the very best it can be. It also pulls out more ideas than your original creation probably allowed for. I assume that my future will not involve prototyping. However, I now have more respect for the designers that spend so much of their time meticulously working on a prototype. If I ever find a need for a new product, I will make sure that I clearly think through each detail, no matter how small, before I set out to make my prototype.
When I signed up for my fall course load, I originally signed up for more hours than I needed and planned on dropping this class. After attending the first day I decided to drop another class instead. The project aspect to this class grabbed my attention! Professor Walls is also very charismatic and enjoyable to listen to. I knew this class would not be one that I would dread waking up for and decided to stay for the entire semester. I really enjoyed working with my team on this project. Each one of us had a very different personality, which I believe helped us to brainstorm ideas throughout the process of the project. We all brought something different to the group, which kept everything fun and exciting! When we were assigned the project I worried that the project would take a lot of time. Each class in the business school is dedicated to teamwork and it becomes hard to balance each different group project along with class, work, and other activities. I really appreciated the time in class we had to work on our projects. Not only did it save me time, it helped having Professor Walls in class with us to answer the questions we came across. It also ensured that every member of the group was an active participant throughout the process. The project updates along the way made the final presentation much easier to produce. I think it helped to reiterate the points made in class as well. I thoroughly enjoyed this class! It was extremely fun, but at the same time I feel like I have learned a lot. Thanks for a great semester!

No comments: